Instead, I much prefer to think of how these 42 films mark like tree-rings of this tiny era of time.
3. Manchurian Candidate 6/17/13 Mosquitos seem worse this year.
4. French Connection 7/1/13 Trying “pallet gardening” for the first time. Genius!
5. Bringing Up Baby 7/22/13 Pulling in no less than 1 lb of blackberries a day.
6. From Here to Eternity 10/21/13 Apparently I am so busy between July and October to get my butt in a movie seat.
7. Rear Window 10/28/13 I let a friend rake my lawn. It was his first time raking a lawn and he was really excited. I prefer to let the leaves give back to the soil, but whatevs, he had fun.
8. Double Indemnity 11/4/13 Daylight savings time. I used my extra hour to read something beautiful.
11. Dances With Wolves 12/30/13 The end of this year…. It was a tough one, but that’s how it goes after 30, right?
12. An American in Paris 1/27/14 Too cold to come out for movies the past few weeks. I’m a wimp!
13. Platoon 2/10/14 Groundhog day passed, I think they need to change the system, says everyone every year.
14. Modern Times 3/17/14 To Europe and back. I think I’m sick of going there.
15. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf 3/24/14 My puppy is 4 years old!
16. Shawshank Redemption 4/1/14 Still stew-cooking weather.
17. Tootsie 4/7/14 I am excited to go to Hawaii!
18. Silence of the Lambs 4/28/14 Leaving Hawaii was stupid. If you are ever in Hawaii do not leave.
19. Cabaret 5/19/14 The spring always makes me want more alone-time.
20. Rebel Without A Cause 6/30/14 Tomatoes are popping up in places they are not supposed to be!
21. Vertigo 8/25/14 Berries were late this year.
22.Nashville 9/15/14 Hit my 100 book mark!
23. Philadelphia Story 9/29/14 The time of year to refinish furniture you find at goodwill is coming to a close.
24. The Gold Rush 10/6/14 Still warm enough to walk for short errands.
25. Singing in the Rain 11/17/14 It is snowing by now.
26. Dr. Zhivago 11/24/14 Ferguson and heartache.
27. The Wizard of Oz 12/29/14 Christmas and the semester have passed.
28. Midnight Cowboy 1/5/14 It is a new year, Neruda is the first book of the year.
29. E.T. 2/16/15 Snow day after snow day, I can’t take any more of this winter bling.
30. All About Eve 3/2/15: A friend is lost. Life as precious/life as curious/life as angry-making.
31. 2001 Space Odyssey 4/6/15. See above. And now my puppy is 5!
32. Blade Runner 5/4/15 The anniversary of my father’s death. This was one of his ‘desert island movies.’ Thank you, proctors.
33. Annie Hall 5/11/15 My birthday. The weather is summery already. Strange.
34. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest 6/1/15 Just back from Vancouver, new places are good.
35. Godfather 6/22/15 I’ve been hibernating even though it’s beautiful out. Has anyone else flipped the seasons?
36. Godfather part 2 6/29/15 SCOTUS legalized gay marriage! Almost proud to be an American today!
37. The Graduate 8/17/15 made new friends! This doesn’t usually happen in adulthood. And where the hell did the blackberries go this year?
38. Psycho 8/31/15 Skunks are alive and well, out and about, and spraying. Me and my dog.
39. Dr. Strangelove 9/14/15 The cold of fall is settling into my bones. Hit my 100 book mark!
40. On The Waterfront 9/28/15 I’ve started reading Harry Potter, finally, and the blog has nearly hit 2500 reads. These seem like milestones.
41. Schindler's List 10/19/15 Days are getting shorter, but it isn’t as cold as last year.
42. Citizen Kane 10/26/15 The leaves seem like stained glass this year. I don’t remember that from before.
This standing Monday Night Date with myself was an important part of the last two and a half years for me (holy crap that's a long time!). I say with ease that I felt every human emotion possible through the run of these films. (including walking out of ET with snot running out of my nose.)
Best $100 I ever spent. Thank you Proctors, thank you thank you thank you.