Thursday, July 28, 2016

CSAs and Their S(p)oils


I woke up late today, exhausted and buzzy from an intense seminar about Teaching Food Systems at Columbia University the past couple days (post to follow soon). Like too many of us, the first thing I did was check my email.

Among the others was the weekly email newsletter from my CSA, Fox Creek Farm . Paragraph two worried me:

"In this newsletter we elaborate a bit more on the consequences of the third-party produce delivery services like Field Goods for our farm. It’s getting harder and harder for us to find CSA members. As a result, there’s a lot of pressure on the economic viability of the farm. More details about this in the attached newsletter, as well as a plea for help."

Well, crap. I had just finished writing the section in my dissertation about CSAs being in trouble, but
I didn't actually want to think about it happening to *my* CSA.

So I followed the link to the newsletter.

Here is why they need help:


They link up to the recent NYT article, "When Community Supported Agriculture is Not What It Seems."

So the immediate answer here is to ask this community of readers, would you consider a, pro-rated, CSA for the rest of the season?



I can say, for myself, half a share over-feeds me for the week. I can only imagine what to do with a full share! I've been freezing a lot. I haven't taken advantage of the opportunity to visit the farm yet, but I think that's in order.

These blog posts have been pulling in between 150-200 readers a week, 50-75 of which are of American readers. I would guess that of those American readers, most of them are people I actually know. I don't know.

So if you're "local" (more on that word later) please spread the news, spread this post around, think about getting a share. Click here for info on getting a share.  Send me a message if you have any questions about any of this.



And p.s. the 100 book party is Friday, August 5th. Get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment